About Waay: Learn music theory
Music theory can be empowering, exciting, and one of the biggest tools in your creative arsenal. Whether you already play an instrument or are just learning, Waay teaches you how to bring together notes into melodies, chords, progressions, and even songs. This is applied music theory—stuff you can take straight to your instrument and use.
Read what people are saying about Waay:
"It's obvious a lot of time, love and energy has gone into this app. It's very well thought out, easy to follow and keeps you coming back for more. The developer is super friendly and answers any questions you have. It's clear he has a real passion for what he does and genuinely wants to help out. Awesome work all round" —thatboyswiss (Waay user), Jan. 8, 2019
"The app is very smooth, and a great resource for learning more about music theory. I found the scale exercises to be very helpful, and I suspect I'll go back to them as a way of keeping those skills sharp." —Sean Garland (App reviewer, iOS MARS)
"I have probably spent thousands of dollars perfecting tone on pedals, instruments, amps and apps, posters, printed media, online courses. The BEST PURCHASE has been your Waay app." —A.P. (Waay user), Apr. 1, 2020
"If only the theory class I dropped out of was as easy and engaging! This is definitely the best way to learn theory. Waay to go!" —Rob Davis (Waay user, Guitarist)
"Whether you are a beginner or someone who wants to brush up on their music theory skills, I would recommend Waay!" —Lisa Chan (Music instructor, pianist, singer)
"I think this app is one of the best in the App Store for music theory. I don't usually comment or give ratings ever, but I just have to make people more aware. I feel that they took a lot of time to make the videos and the games [so] that you actually understand and memorize the lesson all together." —Superlink245 (Waay user), Sep. 13, 2019
You're writing a song, but keep getting stuck. What chords sound good together? What melody fits those chords? Waay helps you master these skills with its interactive exercises, bite-sized video lessons, musical examples, and progress tracking tools. Plus there's no Internet connection required! Perfect for your subway commutes and plane adventures.
Here’s what you’ll learn in each course:
Course 1: "Melodies"
• 8 video lessons, 9 interactive exercises
• Notes and steps: What are the 12 notes in music and how do we talk about them?
• Intervals: Steps, half-steps, and moving between notes
• Keys: Learn what notes sound good together and hear audio examples
• Scale building: Build major and minor scales from scratch
• Songwriting: Learn how to use theory to write music
• Circle of fifths: The super-fast way to build scales… and more
• Melodies: Apply music theory to writing melodies
Course 2: "Chords"
• 8 video lessons, 11 interactive exercises
• Chord foundations: Thirds and fifths—the building blocks of chords
• Building chords: Build major, minor, or diminished chords with just two intervals
• Songwriting: We write a song melody-first and then add just the right chords
• Magic formula: How do we know what chords sound good together?
• Chords in major and minor keys: Find the right chords for your key
• Relative major: The special relationship between major and minor scales
• Fast minor scales: Take your scale skills to the next level
Courses 3 & 4: "Progressions" (available as in-app purchase)
• 10 video lessons, 30 interactive exercises
• Formula fluency: The fundamental relationship between keys and chords
• Key identification: Identify the key of a chord progression with six very speedy tricks
• Shortlisting: Find chords to fit your chord progressions
• Musical judgement: Decide which chords *you* like best in your progressions
• ii V: Why is the ii V progression so important anyways?
• Choosing accidentals: Is it a sharp or flat? Learn that here
Get in touch at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com if you have any questions—happy to help. -Alex